ASSESSMENT OF SUSTAINABILITY OF DEMOGRAPHIC DEVELOPMENT OF MOUNTAIN AREAS (ON THE EXAMPLE OF THE UPLAND SHIRVAN ECONOMIC REGION)
Institute of Geography named after acad. H.A.Aliyev of ANAS,
AZ1148, Baku, Azerbaijan
A b s t r a c t
The paper deals with the study of the sustainability of demographic development and processes going in mountain areas of Azerbaijan on the example of its Upland Shirvan region. This mountain region for long has been known as one of lagging economic regions of Azerbaijan, having the lowest urbanization rate and problem of out-migration. The demographic situation regarding many settlements of the region is not satisfactory at modern times as well. Upland Shirvan still faces continuous out-migration of the population. This process is observed both in cities and the countryside. Sustainability of demographic development is challenged while tens of settlements here have faced depopulation.
This study aims at assessing the sustainability of demographic development of the region of Upland Shirvan, based on the analysis of geographical features of resettlement, formation and distribution of settlements and village groups, population growth, migration and socioeconomic factors. The work defines tendencies going by the population growth and makes attempt to identify the risk of further depopulation of settlements in the region.
Keywords: Shirvan, upland, rural agglomeration, sustainable, settlement, demographic, migration
- Aras O.N., Suleymanov E. 2016. Economy of Azerbaijan. 2nd edition. Baku: Sharg-Garb. 412 p.
- Ayyubov N.H. 2000. Management of distribution of population. In a book: Constructive geography of the Azerbaijan Republic. Vol. 3. 191-197.
- Ayyubov N.H., Abdullayeva G.I.. 2015. Distribution of the population in high-altitude zones in the Sheki-Zagatala economic region: tendencies and improvement. Journal of Geography and Natural Resources. 79-82.
- Babakhanov N.A. 2013. Natural disasters: appearance in Azerbaijan, damages, measures of protection against them. Baku: Elm. 253 p.
- Budagov B.A., Eminov Z.N., Mardanov I.E. 2006. Regularity of location of settlements in Azerbaijan by height belts // Proceedings of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, series of Earth sciences. No. 3, p. 89-97.
- Budagov B.A., Mikayilov A.A., 1996. Physical and geographical landscape zoning. In a book: Constructive geography of the Azerbaijan Republic. Vol. 1. 173-186.
- Demographic indicators of Azerbaijan. 2014. The yearly book of Azerbaijan State Statistical Committee of the Azerbaijan Republic.
- Efendiyev V.A., Damirgayayev Sh.G. 1995. Geographical issues of development of cities in the Azerbaijan Republic. Baku: Nijat. 176 p.
- Eminov Z.N. 2004. Population of Azerbaijan. Baku: Chirag.
- Goychayskiy Sh.Y. 1986. Rural resettlement and the ways of its trnasformation. Baku: Azerneshr. (In Russian).
- Karimov R.N. 2013. Evaluation of demographic sustainability in Azerbaijan. International Research and Practice Conference “Technologies of globalization of the XXI century: evolution or setback?”. Pp. 89-91.
- Karimov R.N. 2014. Geographical problems of sustainable demographic development in the Republic of Azerbaijan. The collection of materials of the XXIV International Scientific-Practical Conference “Modern trends in economics and management: a new look”. Novosibirsk, pp. 137-142.
- Karimov R.N. 2019. Regional problems of sustainable demographic development in the Republic of Azerbaijan. // Human geography in the changing world: fundamental and applied researches. Materials of the International Scientific Conference in the framework of the X Scientific Assembly of the Association of Russian human geographers (ARGO). Kazan. Pp. 170-172.
- Mehraliyev E.G., Ayyubov N.H., Sadigov M.O. 1988. Issues of distribution of population in the Azerbaijan SSR. Baku: Elm.
- Mehraliyev E.G. 1984. Geographical problems of formation and resettlement of the population in the Azerbaijan SSR. Baku: Elm.
- Tanriverdiyev Kh.K., Safarov A.S. 1999. The relief and opportunities for its rational use in agriculture. In a book: Constructive geography of the Azerbaijan Republic. Vol. 2, pp. 8-13.
- The census materials of population of the Azerbaijan Republic. 1989, 1999 and 2009 years. Baku.
- Pashayev N.H., Karimov R.N. 2012. Economic and geographical impact of landslides on the distribution of population in the Azerbaijan Republic. “Vеstnik” of Moscow Region State University (Series of “Economy”), No. 4 (3), pp. 130-139. (In Russian).
- Population of Azerbaijan. 2019. Yearbook of Azerbaijan State Statistical Committee. 134 p.
Publication Date : January 27, 2020
Download the article